Monday, April 25, 2016

Papertrey Ink April Blog Hop Challenge

It's time again for a Papertrey Ink blog hop.  The image is above is what we are to use for inspiration to make a card.  I have to say I really struggled with this one.   We were given the photo early and I kept looking at it and nothing was entering my mind at all.  Finally today I looked at it and and my light bulb turned on!  I decided this image reminds me of a topiary!  So thus the card below was born!

I took a few photos to show you just how this card came together.
(Sorry for the bad photo..I used my phone and apparently didn't have my hand steady! UGH!)
First I made a stencil using some circle dies.  I sponged peeled paint distress ink within the circles letting the circles fall off the edge of the card a bit.  This created my topiary base shape.
Then using various shades of green ink I stamped an image from PTI's Friendship Jar Flowers repeatedly randomly over the sphere shapes.  I was sure to extend the stamp beyond the sponged sphere to hide the hard edge and give the appearance of leaves.  Then I added the flower center stamp from the same set to stamp little red berries on top of the foliage.

I used the circles I had cut for my stencils as a mask so I could stamp my topiary trunk.  I actually think this could have been done first prior to adding the foliage stamp.  I used a balloon string stamped repeatedly to achieve the twisting trunk.  I think if I were to do this again I would simply draw in the trunk with a fine point marker.

PTI's tiny tag die cut in terracotta tile card stock  (with the top of the tag where the hole is cut off ) functioned well as a pot for my topiary.  I rounded the two outside corners of the card for something different and inked the edges  with brushed corduroy distress ink for some depth.

Whew!  That was a tough one..I'm glad I made the deadline!

Supplies are listed and linked below:


PTI Think Big Favorites #2 Mini Stamp Set

PTI Tiny Tags Die

PTI Frienship Jar Flowers

PTI Pure Poppy Dye Ink

PTI Spring Moss Dye Ink

PTI Green Parakeet Dye Ink

Peeled Paint Distress Ink

Brushed Corduroy Distress Ink

Mini Ink Blending Tool

Momento Rich Cocoa Dye Ink

Momento Bamboo Leaves Dye Ink

PTI Birthday Style Stamp Set
Thanks for stopping by! Please come back again!
Share:

14 comments:

Nancy Penir said...

This is so sweet! Love how you made your topiary! beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the step by step tutorial. Great card, Shelly.

Katy

Teresa said...

So very creative. Beautiful card

Diana K said...

I think you just won the Blog Hop for thinking outside the box! So creative. Love this.

Cindy O said...

Love your topiary tree, and your very ingenious use of stamps and dies! I would never have thought of topiary for the challenge photo, but you're right, it's there. Great card. Thanks for showing the steps as you created it!

Vicki Finger said...

I love your topiary tree! Great colors you used from the challenge and very warm and cozy feeling.

Kathy said...

Two topiary circles make a great card from the inspiration! Lovely card.

Leigh Penner said...

Oh, I love your topiaries -- they're so pretty! Wonderful take on the inspiration piece!

Patti said...

This is both beautiful and VERY clever!! what a delightful card. Thank you for sharing your process!!

Patti

Carmela said...

Very pretty!! Love the colors.

Carmela said...

Great job with the topiaries and colors!!

Cammie said...

How clever you are! Your card is so pretty. Thanks for sharing the process; I'm ready to search through my stamps to see if I have something that would work for topiaries.

uncbballfan said...

Shelly, I love your card, and I agree with Diana - I think you won the blog hop with your creativity and thinking outside the box!

Sue said...

Superb job on a touch challenge! Thanks for the tutorial and the topiaries look awesome!!