Sunday, July 22, 2012

PTI SAF projects!

Gee look at the title posts...too many abbreviations huh?!  Well it means Papertrey Ink's stamp-a-faire.  I have been having soo much fun over the past few days watching all the inspiring tutorials and oohing and awing over all the amazing projects.  I got quite a few cards done.  I actually am ahead of the game for upcoming  birthdays and anniversaries so..thank you PTI!  Oh in case you missed the festivities..the tuts can be found still on Nichole's blog here.

The way stamp-a-faire works is you are given a challenge and if you complete the challenge you earn a badge.  
Knots Badge- Ribbon Techniques Challenge




 Betsy showed us an amazing technique using bitty dot ribbon curled into these wonderful flowers by using the heat of a candle flame.  Betsy made it look effortless but I had a hard time getting the hang of how long to hold the ribbon near the flame.  In fact I had a some of my ribbon singe.  So I decided to go with that and turn my card into a shabby chic version of Betsy's wonderfully bright example.    I stamped Turning a New Leaf in Memento rich cocoa ink.  I added small flowers from Honey Bees in Memento Sweet Plum.  The sentiment is from Everyday Classics anniversary set.  I really need to invest in some of those super sized sentiments!

Craft Conservation Badge- Limited Supply Challenge









For this challenge we were limited to the following supplies:

  • STAMPS: Natural Beauties only (or another floral set as a substitute if needed)
  • PAPER: Stamper's Select White, Hawaiian Shores, Aqua Mist, Simply Chartreuse
  • RIBBON: Hawaiian Shores Bitty Dot
  • BUTTONS: Simply Chartreuse
I do not have Natural Beauties so once again I turn to Rosie Posie (the only PTI truly floral set I own).  Well leave it to me to make a limited supply challenge complicated.  I decided to use my Card Base 5 cutter file simply because it had those two tabs draping from the top..a perfect place to set my buttons.  I have always used two patterned papers when using this file in the past.  So since our supplies were limited that meant I had to stamp my own background papers using only the Rosie Posie stamp set.  So I did hexagons for the 1st patterned paper and for the next I used the leaves and center flower dots (absolutely love the way this one turned out!).  Now looking at the completed card..I could have easily used a green solid paper in place of the first patterned paper.  Oh well..I never do things the easy way!

Rainbow Badge- Tie-Dye Techniques








Nichole showed us some awesome ways to add tie-dye to our paper projects. The one I decided to make involves Copic markers and rubbing alcohol.   This is soo out of my comfort zone.  I don't do this bright hardly ever..but the technique was fun to do and I think this will be perfect for a teen's birthday!  I don't have the marker colors on hand but I used the one listed in the store that coordinate with Pure Poppy, Hawaiian Shores, and Summer Sunrise.  The sentiment is from an very old set called simply Paper Tray.

I showed Tyler the latest MIM video which involved rolling a die to determine specifics of what kind of card will be made.  He thought it was really cool and wanted to try it!  I don't often let my kids play with my good crafting stuff as they have their own things.  But...he is 8 so I think it's about time I shared a little!   So we got the sheet out and filled it out and got rolling.  Amazingly enough he got some of the same things I did!   

He got the following:
Horizontal card, sketch 2, Year of Flowers (main image), My Punny Valentine (supporting sentiment), Pure Poppy, Summer Sunrise, and Hawaiian Shores color combo and twine.

Before we began making his card..he saw the video for SAF by Heather making wonderful felt badge embellishments.  Now he absolutely loves to stitch things with embroidery floss so he wanted to incorporate that into his MIM card.  So we added a few more supplies to the MIM criteria and here is what he came up with.

I know I am a little partial being his Mom and all but I am soo proud of what he created!!  He stitched the felt all by himself!!  He wanted embossing since my card was embossed but knew he couldn't stamp on the lumpy cardstock so he decided to stamp the flowers and sentiment onto the same color of cardstock so they would blend in.  See the one daffodil where he moved the stamp a little..well he says that's okay as it just make it look like it's blowing in the wind.  I thought he'd want to add jewels to the centers of the flower but no he got out my yellow brads because that is what he envisioned.  We almost forgot about the twine but he had the perfect way to add it as a grounding point for the daffodils. I think this is just amazing creativity for an 8 year old boy!  He glued everything on himself even!   So...I think Tyler deserves the DIY:  Homemade embellishments badge.   Don't you!?!


Here is a photo of him happily stitching away!  Oh sorry he doesn't have a shirt on...he hardly ever wears a shirt in the summer!



Tyler had a set of dog tag type necklaces but the chain broke so he fixed it by adding yarn to make a chain.  We were headed to the store and he had a shirt on so I told him I wanted to take a pic of him quick with his card.  He decided to hang it on his necklace.  Too cute!

Just look at that face!  He is super thrilled with his card!   Hmm...do I have a future scrapbooker?  Maybe I should let him scrap some of his own pages since I'm sooo far behind!  Now Adoree is beggin' to play with Mommy's stamps too.  I promised her there would be another challenge tomorrow and she will have her turn!  Sooo stay tuned!

I have until 12:00 noon to complete a few more projects for SAF so I hope to get at least one done if the kids let me!  Thanks for stopping by!  I hope you had a fab weekend!  Please come back again!











Share:

4 comments:

Terri Trotter Earley said...

My 5 year old loved this weekend as well, so glad he loved it as well. What an adorabe card!

It's a good life!
Terri E.

Jill Norwood said...

What a sweet post! Love the picture of him sewing! My son loved to scrap with me when he was younger and made 3 scrapbooks that I still have. He is 8 years old now and is in to other things but will still sometimes make things if the glitter glue is out or if he needs to make a card for Grandma or a friend. Thanks for sharing! Love your cards!

Kathy Serrahn said...

great projects, priceless picture of your son doing a project.
When my grand kids come over they love doing projects in grandma's craft room, they are 6 & 8 years old

Rebecca Deeprose said...

Great post Shelly and Tyler stole the show!! He is just so precious!!!! Yeah Tyler!!!