Friday, May 25, 2012

Papertrey Ink May 2012 blog hop and a Sale

First off let me just say I'm sorry for not blogging much lately!  I have been super busy in May and I will share photos of some what has been keeping me busy later but not today or this blog post will be huge!  I promise to blog more frequently in June!  In order to make up for not being in touch..I am having a sale on my entire section of the store (Shelly's Art).  My files are all 30% off now through May 28th.  Click here to see my store.



Isn't that photo just gorgeous!  The challenge today on Nichole's blog at Papertrey ink is to design something with this photo being the inspiration.  I must say I did struggle with this a bit.  I have never worked with only two colors and I never use black as a focal point ever!  So here goes...

I do like the way it turned out but I still can't get used to only two colors.  If I were to make another one similar to this I'd probably add a pop of red to the berries at least.  I embossed a white piece of card stock with the retro diamond embossing folder.  I swiped the raised area with black to mimic the plate in the inspiration photo.  I used my Card Base 7:  Pleats file for the card base. The directions and score lines for the pleats are in the file making it very easy to do this pleated border.  I sponged  parts of the pleats with white ink to make them stand out a little.  The focal image is from Paper Trey Inks anniversary file Round and Round.  I used MIM#45 Coloring embossed images with Copics technique.  I absolutely love this technique!  It's great when you don't have the right ink color or want to color sections of a stamp different colors.  It really makes the image pop on black card stock in real life!   I used a scallop circle and the PTI mat stack 2 die to enhance the focal image.  I also added some bead caps and metal studs.  Oh and the paper is from Echo Park's Victoria Gardens digital collection.  I love this collection!  Many of the patterns are tone on tone and the color can be changed easily to match your theme.  I only printed the width I needed for the border strip to save on ink.

If you would like to purchase the file I used for the card base and pleats please click on the preview below.

 I have another card to share with you today.  I made this for a close friend of ours that treats our kids like they are her own.  She does many grandmotherly things with  them so I figured she deserved a card for Mom's day. 
I used my Card Base 11:  Hexagons file for the starting point of this card.  I covered the flourish from my flourish set file in sparkly white glitter.  However, I remembered why I use glitter glue most of the time because the loose glitter stuck to everything!  I decided to cover the flourish in glossy accents to seal the glitter in so the recipient didn't have it all over her house too!  I used the same papers in my card to make flowers using my Loopy Flowers file.  The sentiment is from Papertrey Ink's Everyday Classics anniversary set.  I did use glitter glue to enhance the sentiment.

If you would like to purchase any of the files used in this card please click on the previews below:

  Before you leave I need to share an amazing Father's Day card made by my CDT member Johanne.

She also used my Card Base 11 file mentioned above.  (Psst..it's on sale until the end of May)  Here is what Johanne has to say about her creative card:

"For this card I used the Card Base 11: Hexagon (SS00240) and Paint Brush Can (SS00012) both from Shelly Sweigart.  The paper were bought at Costco a long time ago and I do not have the name.  I cut the Paint Brush and Can pieces twice to manually embossed them to give a 3D effect.  I made the no sign and the tag for the paint can and printed the last one.  I Print and Cut the sentiment and decorated it with Martha Stewart Punch Drippy Goo.  The font for the sentiment is Pieces NFI.  I covered all the paint with Glossy Accent to give it a wet look."

I love the drippy paint accents and the way she cut slits in the brush to make it more realistic!  I'm soo jealous she has a card done for Father's Day already!

Before I bid you ado, I'd like to explain something about my hexagon file.  It doesn't involve piecing a whole bunch of single hexagons.  It involves a series of overlays that go together in a matter of minutes..it just looks like it took you hours.  Shh.... I won't tell!

 You can see what I mean in the instructions above.  I am soo in love with this file!  It makes a quilted looking card in a matter of minutes.  I have used the single hexagons cuts that are left to make some wonderful cards too and I will share that with you soon.  If you'd like to play with hexagons yourself hurry on over to my store to purchase this file while it's still on sale here


I am going to try and make up a card for the most recent make it monday challenge at Papertrey ink before the challenge is over.  So..I hope to be seeing you again really soon but in case I don't get around to it...I'd like to wish you a wonderful holiday weekend!  Thanks for stopping by!  Come back again!







Share:

0 comments: