Friday, October 01, 2010

SALE time, retreat goodie bags and more sketch and idea organization

Howdy!
     Sorry I wasn't in touch last week.  I went to the retreat and had a blast!  It was soo fun to meet all these wonderful ladies I type at all the time.  I came back exhausted though...guess I'm not a party animal any more!

Oct 2nd is World Card Making Day!  I love to make cards and hope to have some time to work on some this weekend.  I have decided to have a sale to celebrate World Card Making Day and also to celebrate the official opening of the Paperthreads store in 2006.  I have many files that would work great for cards, layouts, and home decor.  I also  have digital scrapbooking products and some digital stamps too.  Please stop by my store if you get a chance by clicking here.  But before you go I do have a few other things to share with you  including my second segment on organizing your sketches and layout ideas.  Oh and many of the other PT designers are also having sales soo.....Paperthreads is a happening place to be! 

First up I'd like to share with you the goodie bags I made for the retreat.  I think they turned out pretty cute!  It's amazing what a few cutter files can do to spice up a plain Dollar Tree gift bag!  Hopefully, this will give you some ideas of what you can do to spruce up your gift bags inexpensively for birthdays or Christmas even.


These photos don't really do the bags justice as the lighting wasn't the greatest where I took these at the retreat.  I used my Notebook Edge: Shaped Notes file and the pen tool holding a glitter gel pen to draw in the names using my cutter.  The flourish is also from that file I just covered it with glitter glue after cutting.  The flowers are from my Rolled Up Flowers file.  I sprayed them with glimmer mist before rolling up.  I love the little bit of shimmer it gave the flowers.  If you would like to purchase either of these files to decorate your own bags click on the words below the previews.

Notebook Edge: Shaped Notes



Rolled Up Flowers
Now I know you are dying to know what was in our goodie bags.  So I took a photo.  However, my goodie bag contribution isn't in the picture!  Why?!  I was running short on time and decided not to make myself one!  LOL!  I will be making a few as hostess gifts for the crop I'm going to next weekend so I will share them sometime after that along with a tut.


Look at all those wonderful items!  Aren't they great!  Adoree and I just ate the chocolate covered pretzels.  They were sooo good....I know I should save the last one for Tyler but I'm tempted not too!  I even got some diamond dust which I have been wanting to try forever now!  I love that each time I use any of these items I will think of the great lady who gave it to me!

Okay now on to the second segment of my sketch and layout idea organization.  If you missed the first segment click here and scroll down.  You would think after that long post I would have said everything I needed to!  Guess not!  LOL!

I do have a few magazines that are very well laid out and I can't bear to rip them apart to put them in my binder soo.......
I take them to an office store and they spiral bound them.  This allows them to lay flat making it easier to use them.  I also have the office store put an acrylic transparent front cover and back cover to make the magazine a little more durable.  Then I use Post It Flags and my label maker to make labels that designate the number of photos each section of the magazine covers.   If you click on the picture you can see the inset photo shows labels "3-5", "6-7" and so on because that is the way Becky Higgins set up her wonderful magazine.  I love being able to turn to the page I need immediately.


Sometimes I have magazines though that aren't set up by number of photos.  No problem my system will still work with these magazines as you can see above.  I still got it spiral bound.  This time I used Post It Tabs so had enough room to write but you could still use the flags and label maker...I was just being lazy! 

This is one of my favorite magazine issues.  The book tells you what papers and embellishments you need to make at least two layouts plus cards, tags, mini books and more.  They even tell you how to cut the paper exactly in order to make all these items.  Anyway, as you can see in the photo above (click on the photo to enlarge it if you need to) that the sketch  on the left is designed to accommodate 5 photos while the sketch on the right works for 9 photos so it I put a 5 and 9 tab on the right side of the page.  I like that the tabs are clear where the adhesive is so I can stick them on without worrying about covering up my instructions.  Plus they are removable if I goof!  It does look like I have a jumble of numbers there but really it's easy to find the number I need.

Okay that concludes my sketch and layout organization.  I hope this inspired some of you.  If you have any questions or have a way to improve my system....I'm all ears.  Just e-mail me at shellys art @ verizon.net (take out spaces please).

I'm working on a freebie so please check back for it.  Have a fabulous weekend!
Share:

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the organizational ideas, Shelly, Thanks so much. Gina